A simple order processing system downloads current orders to your computer and you must make decisions on what to do next. This would be considered a manual order processing system – even if you’re using a computer and software applications to do it. For the short term, or the processing of a limited number of orders, this could be acceptable. However, this type of order processing does not allow for exponential business growth. For example, in the past you may have been selling 20 items a day but now you’re 100 items a day to different, diverse customers and locations.
Using an Order Processing Approach for the downloading of incoming orders and then having a person manage the order through all the steps it must travel – from processing, to accounting, shipping, tracking and delivery – is only the beginning. An Order Fulfillment Solution should do the following for you:
- Work 24/7, automatically, even if there’s no one in the office.
- Manage all of your EDI documents for customers automatically without document fees.
- Create and print all order documents as well as shipping documents including tracking numbers.
- Track order status and provide you with alerts when something goes wrong.
- Update your accounting system with Sales Orders and Invoices automatically.
- Be capable of spanning multiple continents to track and facilitate international orders, shipments and returns for a wide range of product lines and consumer segments.
- Be available to you anywhere you can get an Internet connection.
One of the many advantages of using a robust order fulfillment system is great Customer Satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is key to long-term success in business, and fulfilling customer orders reliably and accurately is key to customer satisfaction. An order fulfillment system will help ensure that all of your customers’ orders are filled on time. Since automated systems can reduce errors in order processing, this can enhance the customer experience and maximize your company’s profitability.
Having a solid order fulfillment system in place creates a win-win situation for businesses and their customers. Customers experience more reliable deliveries and accurate order fulfillment. Businesses can maximize their profitability by not misplacing orders, misreading orders or impacting their customer scorecard, not to mention the long-term revenue boost that comes from consistently satisfying customers.