Chances are that you’ve automated your e-commerce, drop ship business. But, what does automation mean to you and how automated are you?
The truth is that automation should eliminate the problems, complexities and costs of drop shipping and do things like:
- Require little to no trained staff to manage order fulfillment.
- Plug in to and enhance the existing investment in your ERP or accounting / inventory automation software and fill in the missing gaps.
- Be intelligent and self-managing so that orders are processed accurately and in seconds, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – even when there’s no one in the office.
- Communicate with your customers via EDI without needing a 3rd party to charge you for EDI documents.
- Automatically communicate with shipping carriers and alert you to shipment status.
- Easily plug into your warehouse pick, pack and ship operations.
- Not only automate but simplify the way you work.
You may think you are automated because you have a sophisticated ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system or you may simply be using QuickBooks for accounting and inventory. You also have software applications that help manage shipping and labels.
The problem is that this automation still requires trained order processing personnel to manage each step or, even worse, they may have to duplicate the entry of information into each software application opening the door for human error.
And then, of course, there’s EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) when it’s required to do business with a particular customer. This can take two basic forms: First the EDI provider you’re working with may be simply providing a secure translation and data exchange for you, such as a Value Added Network (VAN) or they may be a full service EDI provider that has integrated with your business processes and help you manage order processing. In either case, it just means more complexity and cost.
Automation, real automation, is a necessary part of growing your business. When your business is seamlessly connected the possibilities for growth become evident and easy to achieve. OPAL can help you do this.